Favorite Scripture

FOR I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR YOU, DECLARES THE LORD...PLANS TO PROSPER YOU AND NOT TO HARM YOU...PLANS TO GIVE YOU A HOPE AND A FUTURE.
JEREMIAH 29:11 (NIV)

Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow Day Southern Style

SNOWY DAY IN THE SOUTH

A snowy day is relative here in the Deep South, however, we will take our snow any way we can get it, especially for some of us Northern transplants who have navigated south.  I love the South and consider myself a true southerner in accent, dialect, customs, and way of thinking...but when it comes to SNOW, I'm not "one of those" people who hate snow. 

I LOVE LOVE SNOW and consider a Snow Day one of the great pleasures in life. I have a fond memory of lying in bed as a child listening to the"school closings" on the radio. My parents sat at the breakfast table, drank coffee, read the morning paper and listened to the radio.  No one watched TV because there was no local morning program.  So, on snowy days, everyone listened carefully as the local radio DJ read off the list of schools being closed.  There was no better feeling than hearing the words,"Mercer Co. Schools will be closed today" then snuggling back down under the covers for a few more hours of sleep.

I've never outgrown the love of a good snow day and think everyone needs to learn how to relax, slow down, and enjoy the perks afforded by a DAY OFF.  I realize not everyone gets to take a Snow Day but there are just as many who can, but won't OR complain the whole day about what a "waste of time" it is to have to take a day off from school or work.  

To those people, I say, you are not promised tomorrow so enjoy the day...throw a snowball, make some snow cream, sit by a fire, drink some hot cocoa, read a book, take a nap, make something, sew something, call up an elderly neighbor or relative and just chat, bake something and take it to work the next day, write an old fashioned letter, color in a coloring book with real crayons, watch old movies snuggled up on the couch, feed the birds & take time to actually watch/identify them, work a jigsaw puzzle, or for us QUILTERS...free time to quilt to our hearts desire.

SANTA IN THE PARK
Sunday, Dec. 12th, 
Fundraiser for Community Built Playground

Here is a picture of Santa & Mrs. Clause arriving in style for Santa in the Park!  I'm involved in getting a TOP RATE Playground Built in our part of County where I live.  This playground will cost $150,000 so as you can see, we have LOTS of money to raise by May 10th (Build Week).  I like to tell people it's sort of like Extreme Home Make Over on TV except we are building a Playground in one week through a playground company called Leather's Associates.  Google it and look at the playgrounds they have built all over the world.  You will be able to see the kind of playground we are raising money for!

The weather was very suitable for Santa Claus but not for southerners not used to this kind of cold.  The pictures don't show the heavy snow showers and due to the high wind, nothing stuck to the ground until later when we started leaving to go home. Hey, like I said...we'll take our snow in any amount!
Our crowd was down but we still had a wonderful time.  Good things will happen in spite of the turn-out.  Everything was so festive and the children were SOOO excited to see Santa.  They still BELIEVE and seeing Santa through their little eyes made me Believe once again.

My Two wonderful Daughters  Mary Ellen & Anna Laura
Mary Ellen is the Photographer...check out her fabulous pictures at 
www.lighthouselifeinpictures.com

 Santa & Nathan
 #1 Husband, Anna Laura & Best Friend Tammy
Defrosting by the Fire
 Wind chill was in single digits with wind gusts of 30mph or more.
We all came home and ate/drank something warm.  #1 Husband had my Hot Tea ready when I got out of the warm shower and put my flannel PJ's on!!  A NICE way to end a Snow Day in the South. Hopefully we raised enough money to break even and we'll make it up on the next Fund Raiser.

Below is a picture of my Christmas Tree with all the Homemade ornaments and special ornaments marking a milestone or event in the life of our family.  The children wanted me to keep most of the ornaments...they said they would divide them up when I went to heaven! ha!My tree will never be showcased on a decorating site or in Southern Living Magazine but in the hearts and eyes of my family each ornament is another tie that binds this Big Ol Family of 12 together!!!

  Mary Ellen made this ornament in 3rd grade!  It's seen better days!



  The Grandchildren wrapped the presents under the tree from their
shopping trip with PaPaw.  PaPaw checked them out of school last week and took all three Christmas Shopping!  Each one got to pick out a gift for their parents & ate ice cream on the way home.  The wrapping party was almost as much fun as the shopping if the laughter and squeals coming from the dining room was any indication.

 I'll leave you with some Holiday pictures of the Grandchildren.  Today's post indicates what was on my mind and in my heart.  I'll share some of my quilting projects in tomorrow's post but for now, the loves of my life are front & center.  I feel so Blessed & Grateful for what I have.  Silver & Gold  have I little; but wealthy am I in love from /for My family

SANTA & JAMES

CLAY, SCOTT, EMMA GRACE, RYAN

MY 2010 CHRISTMAS CERAMIC
IT'S TOO HEAVY TO HANG!!

BLESSINGS
GMAMA JANE

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Your grandchildren are adorable! The sweet Grands sure have a way of bringing extreme joy to this wonderful Christmastime. I hope your holidays are full of sweet memories with them and your whole family!
    Your tree is very pretty too! Thanks for sharing with all of us..:)
    xoxo Gloria

    ReplyDelete

Blessings to all of you who have taken the time to leave your thoughtful comments. I read each one and hope you will come back often!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...